Achilles Tendon Rupture In Austin Texas
Achilles Tendon Rupture
The Achilles tendon is one of the longest tendons, running from the bones of the heel to the calf muscle. Too much force on the tendon can cause it to tear partially or rupture completely.
- Increasing physical activity levels too quickly
- Not adequately stretching before exercise
- Wearing high heels, which increases the stress on the tendon
- Poor foot anatomy: flat feet, also known as fallen arches or overpronation, when the arch of the foot collapses with each step, overstretching the muscles and tendons
- Overly tight leg muscles or tendons
Athletes (amateur and professional alike) participating in certain activities are more prone to Achilles injury:
- Achilles tears are more likely to occur with sudden movement. The sudden tensing of the muscle can overload the tendon, causing it to tear or rupture. For example, sprinters are more prone to tear the Achilles at the start of a race.
- Pain along the back of the foot and above the heel, especially when stretching the ankle or standing on the toes. In tendinitis, pain may be mild and worsen gradually. If the tendon is torn or ruptured, pain may be abrupt and severe.
- A snapping or popping noise during the injury
- Difficulty flexing the foot or pointing the toes (felt with complete tendon tears)
Minor Achilles injuries:
Minor to moderate Achilles injuries may heal with the RICE method:
- R = rest
I = ice
C = compression
E = elevation
- Anti-inflammatory NSAIDs can be taken to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Shoe inserts may be suggested by your orthopedist to prevent further stretching of the Achilles.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises will rehabilitate the tendon and supporting muscles
- R = rest
We love sharing our knowledge of beauty, wellness, and regenerative medicine with you. It brings us so much joy. Today
**Results may vary. Backstage Spa & Wellness Institute is reputable for complete customer satisfaction for completed treatments. Unless otherwise noted, testimonials provided for Backstage Spa & Wellness Institute are clients of Backstage Spa & Wellness Institute who have undergone complete treatment(s.) However, results may vary per client. No treatment is promised to provide permanent results. A guarantee is neither provided nor implied. Read our full disclaimer here.